Forum Homepage Various PCQ Microsites Subscribe to our newsletters Subscribe to PCQ Print Edition Contact us for Advertising Solutions Contact us for any other queries
  FAQ   Search   REGISTER   Login

CIOL Network SITES

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Dance-PCQ Linux 2008 and Windows Vista on AMD Base PC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:27 pm 
Knight

Dear shiva_iitm,

I joined in the dance yesterday. After installation of the core, I first checked if my Windows Vista was still there. The old sinking feeling hit me in the pit of the stomach, the other OS was not booting and the message referred to some missing bootmanager(?). I had just completed a full back up and felt safe for the OS and data but the sinking feeling was still there when the tedious process involved came to the mind.

Thankfully I remembered that the same problem had occured when I installed the PCQLinux 2007. Changing the rootnoverify stuff to (sda,2) did not work this time. But I was sure that the OS was on the second partition on the hard disk and eventually I tried (hd0,1), and that worked. The Anaconda version of PCQ does not cater for the possibility of the first OS being anywhere else except (hd0,0). Oh! yes, another thing is that changing the command during booting process does not amend the grubconf. One has to open the file in the text editor and edit it properly.

The clock problem is still there. The "... MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC" issue still remains. And the clock shows 5hrs + time. Is the problem connected with AMD Athlon and the BIOS?? Will the clockpit formula work?

The PCQLinux team has carefully side stepped the problem of the graphical interface not coming up properly!! By not providing the service at all. One has to type in "startx"!!

I have yet to try the Virtualisation stuff. No hurry!!

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm 
Grand Master

Chitnis,

Welcome to the dance. To have graphical boot, do this:
edit /etc/inittab file and change the following line to look like this:

Code:
id:5:initdefault:

save and reboot. But the sad part here is, you won't see the PCQ mascot here but see the CentOS logo! :(
/In lighter vein/
Guys at PCQ are becoming smarter each year. The more you complain about an issue, that whole feature would be dropped. na rahe baas , na baje basuri
/In lighter vein/ :lol:

Post subject: CLOCKWORK ORANGE (not lemon)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:21 pm 
Knight

Dear shiva,
I note that the clock problem has been reported by sanjay555 also (in your "Romancing" thread. The time difference is 5hrs and 14 min. AMD processor is a common factor. Is PCQ Team looking into this? The problem existed in PCQLinux 2007 too.

Re booting into GUI, I do not have any aversion to Centos screen. However, if it fails, I will certainly mind having to "init 3" "Ctrl+Alt+F1" and then "startx" as I had to with 2007 version 70% of the time.

I also ran into sanjay555's reported booting problem. A couple of reboots and it stopped but it is very likely to reappear like the proverbial bad penny. The setting up of mail and related services and CUPS freezes or slows to a arthritic snail crawl. It was the snail who refused to join the dance. Hope some one find out why it happens and a proper fix for it!

The shut down works with halt -p command.

As with PCQLinux 2007, initially I was not able to get on to the web with the common profile created by the install programme. Attempts to modify the NETWORK details failed. Finally I created a fresh profile (using the same etho) and entered static IP data as indicated by MTNL (Triband Broad Band). And this profile works.

I need to understand the purpose and utility of "Virtualisation". Is it meaningful in a standalone environment (eg at home)?

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:59 am 
Apprentice

Dear Chitnis,

Thanks for the "halt -p" tip.
I have now removed 'cups' and 'sendmail' from the boot process. So, booting
is now ensured. However, I had noticed that 'startx' becomes extremely slow some times; and it may seem odd, but this does not happen during morning
7 to about 8:30 (during this time 'startx' is normal); it happens nearly 9 am onwards. I have not checked yet its performance during afternoon or evening.

sanjay555

Post subject: Fast Forward Clock !!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 am 
Knight

Dear sanjay,

I believe I have the solution to the fast clock problem!! It should be linked with the UTC option in the Time Zone. Go to Administration-Date & Time-Time Zone, uncheck the UTC option, go to Date & Time and reset/correct the time to IST. That should fix the + 5hrs 14min problem. The connection to the AMD processor and "clock not linked with IO" (the warning comes up as the PCQLinux starts booting) requires a much deeper knowledge.

Dear siva, Any pointers towards easy and quick understanding of "Virtualisation".

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:40 am 
Apprentice

Dear Chitnis,

One advantage of virtualization at home is: You dont need dual boot system. You can run other OS in a window in PCQL08. Your legacy applications on other OSs (even older versions of Linux) can also be saved for future use.
Another advantage is freedom from virus or mal-ware. For example, I usually work on PCQLinux 2004 whose kernel is 2.4 version. I have installed 'vmplayer' (another virtualization software) on it and through it run Firefox on Ubuntu Linux. Whatever internet browsing that I do in that session does not affect my rest of the system at all. This is great protection against virus, trojan or similar malware.
Try it! Its a great facility.

sanjay555

Post subject: Add Another (Mis)Step
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 pm 
Knight

Dear shiva,
I always get the following message when booting :
Mar 28 21:48:08 localhost kernel: Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
Mar 28 21:48:10 localhost kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
And then the rest of the stuff comes along.
Recently I got the message : Kernel Panic blah blah blah, boot with option "APIC=debug", generate report and then boot with option "noapic". Had to restart the computer (switch off and switch on). I did not try the suggested options and the system booted "properly as usual. The messages log revealed the following additional lines which do not show up in normal booting.
Mar 28 21:48:10 localhost kernel: ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed.
Mar 28 21:48:10 localhost kernel: ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
Mar 28 21:48:10 localhost kernel: ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works.

Two major questions emerge. First, whats the problem in respect of allocation of memory for crash kernel? And second, why is the timer not connecting to IO-APIC ? And ofcourse the follow up "what needs to be done, recompilation of the kernel for the system hardware? Will I learn anything useful from trying out the "APIC=debug" and "noapic" options. Next time I'll note down the details of "Blah blahs".

Dear sanjay555,
I need to examine the "virtualisation" issues a little deeper.

P_Chitnis

Post subject: Re: Add Another (Mis)Step
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:48 am 
Site Admin

P_Chitnis wrote:
Mar 28 21:48:08 localhost kernel: Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range

From CentOS 5.1 Known Issues:

"During the boot process you may see the message "Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range" appear. This message comes from the new kdump infrastructure. It is a harmless message and can be safely ignored. "

Source: http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 pm 
Knight

Thanks shekhar,
Will stop worrying about the memory for crash kernel. Any pointers for the clock issues.
P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:29 pm 
Knight

My PC clock shows 6.27 pm at 10.30 pm even after setting time zone as Calcutta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:33 am 
Knight

Dear bhide_viju,
I am not sure if our problems are similar. I'll try to describe the differences:

A) The PC clock works OK in Windows. However, on booting into PCQL it shows a time 5hrs and about 14 min ahead. Boot out and back to Windows the time is back to normal. If you correct the time in PCQL, on rebooting to Windows the clock is now behind time by the corrected amount. I had the same problem in PCQL 2007 also!!

What I found in the time zone set up screen was the UTC option selected. I unselected the UTC option since we do not have daylight saving hours schedule, and then corrected the time (in PCQL). This worked for me and whichever OS I boot into the time is same now.

B) Your clock is showing time 3 hrs and 3 min slow. (in PCQL I presume). Does it show correct time under Windows or any other OS? I get a message early during booting process (even now) "..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC". Do you get any similar message? See my message of 29 Mar 08 also. The timer finally works and the message is "...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works."

Hope you are able to find something out of it! Do let me also know.

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Knight

In my PC, Edubuntu,winxp,2k6 are showing correct time.
I adjusted time and deselected UTC option for 2k8 and 2k7.Now all the distros are showing correct time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks P_Chitnis and bhide_viju. I guess this should be the solution. I had been trying options like clock=pit which didnt help. Was suspecting VirtualBox kernel module to be a culprit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:43 am 
Knight

The time advance problem appears to have been pinned down. But the "timer not connected to IO-APIC" problem still remains.

I ran into the kernel panic again. The detailed message is :
Kernel panic - not syncing : IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the 'noapic' option.

The computer thereafter hangs ans has to be (hard) restarted. I amended the command while rebooting to include apic=debug at the very end. However, there were no messages to report and nothing in the logs. Oh! I intended to send the report to PCQ but is the report to go to Redhat or CentOS?:?

Next I tried to boot with the noapic option. But again there was no new message or difference in the process. Net result status quo!

The other thing I learnt is that in PCQL2008, when you logout/exit the Gnome GUI, the mouse pointer disappears!! On issuing "startx" command again, the GUI comes up without the mouse pointer. The mouse does work in a fashion in that as you move the mouse the various tips come on. However it is impossible to guess the pointer position otherwise or move the pointer to a desired location except by chance(?). Even logging out and re logging (in the text mode stage init 3) does not restart the pointer display. A complete reboot is required!! Could we call it pointer virtualisation?? :lol:

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:42 am 
Apprentice

Two things I have noticed about PCQL2008 are-
1. It boots faster/normal if internet connection is ON.
2. Some times it becomes too slow. In such a case 'startx' command takes about 5-7 minutes to load X. But patience pays and X definitely comes up after that. In this case, other X based programs also load up slowly. After about half an hour of working, things start getting smooth.
This is about AMD processor. I don't know, whether this problem is there on Intel based processors.

sanjay555

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:13 pm 
Knight

Hi! shiva,
Ref your post of 22 Mar ante. Just posted the following message in the "Fun Begins" thread.
I tried something. After the text based login as root, I issued the command "init 5". Don't ask why!! What happened next is interesting. There was a partial shutdown of services (not sure if I saw any being restarted) and then I was presented a Graphical LOGIN SCREEN. And it had the PCQ logo!!
Obviously someone had laboured to give us a Graphical log in but was unable to either complete it or link it into the process. Is someone :oops: ? :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Ill see what happens when I log out, etc etc.

Of course the work around is even longer and as such of academic interest. But would the position of the command in the inittab file make some difference, I mean changing the order of the commands?

As for sanjay555's views on booting and starting GUI manager, the logic is not very clear. Could it be that the PCQ compilation is not suited to his hardware? I also have an AMD based PC but the time taken for booting or starting GUI is not an issue. The timer and IO-APIC link is!!

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 pm 
Knight

Refer my posts of 2 & 4 Apr, regarding disappearance of mouse pointer on exiting the GUI ("startx"). The same thing happens when I exit the GUI brought up by "init 5" command (4 Apr post).

I infer that the file called up by the "logout" option from GUI turns the mouse pointer off. Does anyone know for certain which file (rc.xx?) is involved?

P_Chitnis

Post subject: Adding New Applications
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm 
Knight

I am still looking for more info/leads on the utility of Virtualisation on home computer.

In the meantime I wished for some applications from PCQLinux 2007 eg Stellarium, Star Chart(KDE), games like Kolf and Neverputt. And since these were on the DVD I did not wish to download from the net. I found that :

Stellarium - Attempt to install "Add/from Remove Software" failed. Asked for internet connection. Installing from RPM gave dependency failure. I could not locate the rpm mentioned but it must be there as the application was working in 2007.

KDE Games (for Kolf) - Tried installing from rpm first and it worked.

Neverput - Could not locate the rpm on the DVD. Probably file is named differently.

KDE Edu (for Star Chart) - tried the "Add/from Remove Software" option after right clicking on the rpm and it INSTALLED!!

Inference the "Add/from Remove Software" normally does not start unless internet connection is available. There appears to be no provision to point it towards a drive on the computer (or probably even another computer on LAN where an RPM is located. However it does recognise some rpms on selectthe option Install using Add Remove Software.

Any ideas on how to to set up the Application "Add/from Remove Software" to accept files/folders on DVD or any other drive????

P_Chitnis

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 am 
Grand Master

very soon hoping to join The Dance-PCQ Linux 2008 and romance ... :)

null

Post subject: Re: Adding New Applications
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:31 am 
Site Admin

P_Chitnis wrote:
Any ideas on how to to set up the Application "Add/from Remove Software" to accept files/folders on DVD or any other drive????
P_Chitnis

Which package/software r u trying/wanting to install ?

Post subject: Re: well...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:33 am 
Site Admin

null_bit wrote:
very soon hoping to join The Dance-PCQ Linux 2008 and romance ... :)
null

We r waiting :). Pls do post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:39 am 
Site Admin

P_Chitnis, I would like to have a conversation with you regarding your issues and experience. Whats the best way, time and method to reach you (IM ?) ?

Pls feel free to drop me an e-mail at shekhar at it4enterprise dot com

This is to aim at an effort to discuss and solve the issues and share it with others. Since you had posted a lot about PCQL 2K8, I'm assume that you are actively using PCQL 2K8 and will be able to help me out in understanding the issues, pros and cons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:30 am 
Knight

Dear shekhar,
Thanks. I do not wish to post my regular e-mail address on open board. I have therefore set up an account especially for PCQ now. It is chitnis7m64@gmail.com.

I have been reading/subscribing to PCQ since 1994. I have tried out various Linux flavours brought out by PCQ from time to time, but mostly for word processing and GAMES. Though I started on personal computers since 1987, and did a lot of "programming"(coding) in dBase III+, dBase IV and Visual dBase (supply order monitoring and pay bills), I am not a programmer. I did put in a lot of efforts to understand how DOS works etc etc. My base is however Mech. Engineering and Quality Assurance.

So I doubt if I could be of much help in Linux issues beyond asking a lot of questions (thats what one does in QA!). You will have noted my comments/questions on virtualisation.

Oh, yes, I have since retired on superannuation and am therefore available most of the time.

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

P_Chitnis wrote:
I do not wish to post my regular e-mail address on open board.

Sure hence I gave you my email address.

P_Chitnis wrote:
So I doubt if I could be of much help in Linux issues beyond asking a lot of questions (thats what one does in QA!).

As I said thats the idea. I was thinking of getting into a chat and trying to solve some issues. I wasn't able to replicate some of the issues you mentioned.

Or else we can continue here itself. Whats the package/software that you wanted to install off the CD using add/remove programs ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:22 am 
Knight

Dear shekhar,
I would like to categorise and itemise problems to which I am seeking solutions.
A} OS starting : 1. The Timer not connected to IO-APIC snag: Every once in a while I get the message "Kernel panic - not syncing : IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the 'noapic' option". Thereafter the systems has to be switched and restarted. I have reported this in previous posts including the extract from the errorlog. I had a similar problem with PCQLinux 2007 as posted in that Topic.
2. Mouse Pointer disappearance : I found that on logging out from the GUI and relogging ("startx" command) the mouse pointer disappears. It wont reappear till the system is rebooted! That would be a major problem on a multiuser or multiple identity user machine.

Note: The above could be linked to the AMD processor/motherboard and could need specific compilation.

3. Internet Connection through Firefox : I was first attracted to linux OS as it was reputed to be much safer on line and not likely to be hi-jacked. I have a MTNL Triband broadband connection. The Firefox as set up by the installation programme is not able to connect while Konquerer is! I had a similar problem with PCQLinux 2007, duly reported in this forum by me. This time I thought I had it fixed vide my post of 25 March :
Quote:
As with PCQLinux 2007, initially I was not able to get on to the web with the common profile created by the install programme. Attempts to modify the NETWORK details failed. Finally I created a fresh profile (using the same etho) and entered static IP data as indicated by MTNL (Triband Broad Band). And this profile works.

I soon found that this works sometimes only. The problem remains.

B} Applications Installation : As I had said my use of Linux is limited. At present I would like to install "Stellarium" and "Neverputt" (that a golf game) applications from 2007 DVD. I had tried out "Neverputt" on my office computer, Pentium IV machine and it worked fine. However, on my home PC, AMD Duo Athlon X2, the controls were sticky and wonky. I get the feeling that quite a few applications may work satisfactorily only on one that is Intel or AMD platforms.

I have given an e-mail address!! Specially set up for PCQ Forums.
And by the way will PCQ please enable amending of profile and changing of password in the forums.

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:34 pm 
Knight

CONNECTING TO INTERNET

I had this problem with PCQLinux 2006, 2007 and now with 2008 also. With the ethernet card set up to obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP I could not connect to the internet with Firefox browser. The Konqueror browser however had no problem in connecting. Further, if I changed the DNS settings under Network Configuration to reflect the Primary and Secondary DNS as intimated by the service provider (MTNL Triband Broadband), Firefox would connect up and work fine. However, the next time (after de-activating and then re-activating the connection), Firefox would stop working. A check of network configuration showed that the DNS (MTNL IP addresses) settings were gone.

I have now switched the settings for ethernet card (device) to statically set IP addresses as indicated by MTNL and then changed the DNS setting to fixed IP addresses given by MTNL. Firefox works fine.

I am really puzzled as to why Firefox browser could not work with ethernet card set up to obtain IP addresses through DHCP while Konqueror browser could!!

WHICH BRINGS ME TO THE SECOND PART OF THE MATTER.

Initially settings under Windows Vista were for obtaining IP addresses through DHCP only. Then one fine day the internet connection was gone. On calling up MTNL helpline I was guided through resetting the ethernet card to statically set IP addresses. I clearly remember that one step involved selecting IPv4 and de-selecting IPv6. Thereafter I think the broad band speed has also come down. Calling up the MTNL help desk does not result in any meaningful information. Does any one have an idea as to what MTNL is doing. :?

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:13 pm 
Grand Master

Well thanks a lot for the DVD's and cd.......

Now for the dance ....

I did wipe out my Fedore 8 system to install PCQ 2008 linux ....
well first up i could not pass any boot paramaters to the default kernel???
took about an hour to install ... with hopes that it would not thrash my windows OS on the other hdd... ...

Well the boot loader did not give me an option on which drive to install ..
adding to my woes... glad to say all went well ... have a PCQ 2008 installed .....

The first time boot took a long time and i kept getting some error in loop had to soft reboot ... now i can loging but to a non gui nos....

will try init 5 and see what happens... startx did not seem to work...

Yes the bothe the DVD's do not work.... they don't get mounted at all :(

null

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 pm 
Knight

Hi everbody,

The forum was down for maintenance on the morning of 30 Apr and when it came up again in the evening/night all the posts after 24 Apr were missing.

Since it included a small one from me, I put up a fresh one including a copy of my earlier post. On submittting it the thread itself disappeared!! I found it at the bottom! Obviously the freshest post at the top protocol was not working. However, no fresh posts appeared over the next two days. When I tried to put a small item under another thread on 3 Apr morning, I found that the system was reporting a database bug!! No wonder there were no fresh posts for three days. Yesterday evening the problem appears to have been rectified. However, the 30 Apr post is gone again.

So here is what my missing post contained :

Dear null_bit,

Your problems appear to emanate from faulty(?) DVDs. Have you tried the DVD checking programme. If yes with what results?

My problems seem to stem from unsuitability of the PCQLinux kernel compilation for AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3600+. Frankly I see no point in trying out "Virtualisation" and applications bundled by PCQ unless the base kernel issues are resolved. The ones I have run into till now are "Timer not connected to IO-APIC" and related "Kernel Panic, and that of the mouse pointer disappearing on logging out from GUI and logging in again (as same or another entity).

P_Chitnis

I am hoping for some answers.
Waiting now for the May issue.

P_Chitnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:40 pm 
Knight

Hi!
This is about my earlier querries on the “Virtualisation” issues. The May issue article “New Age Virtualisation” and the pointer to January 07 article “Applications as Appliances” helped me evaluate (for my purposes) the utility of virtualisation.

As I can make out the whole idea is to have an Application combined with the OS on which it (the Application) is to operate, as a single package. The OS included is a stripped version containing only the minimum essential facilities required to run the application. To this Application + OS set is added some more software (Virtualisation software) to enable it to run as a virtual machine on a real machine (server, desktop whatever) with a complete OS (Host OS). It appears that the Host (machine and OS) also need additional virtualisation software to be able to host the virtual machine. Further, the latest processors on the way, are designed to have the Host's Virtualisation instructions positioned between the hardware and the Host OS rather than after the Host OS. Some services may/will be provided by the Host OS to the virtual appliances.

The advantages of deploying such a system at server level are quite clear and convincing. A virtual appliance can be started or stopped without affecting other virtual appliance operating on the server. Each appliance being insulated from others improves safety from cascading failures or malware able to penetrate one appliance.

However, beyond use of a virtual browser while surfing the internet, the utility for single user desktops appears very limited. After all with one keyboard and monitor only one person can be using the system at a time. And frankly, its a long time since anyone spoke meaningfully on such set ups. The only scenario I can think of is when a single unit has to be quickly switched from one job to another and unless it is connected to a LAN there would not be any significant advantage over running different applications in separate windows. AND where it is connected to LAN the virtual appliances are better hosted on the server!

P_Chitnis

Post subject: virtual appliances on the desktop
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

P_Chitnis,
There are many different uses of virtual appliances for a desktop as well. Security professionals could use a virtual appliance with all the latest security tools. Administrators can use a virtual appliance with all the network monitoring and management software, individuals wanting to check out a new Linux OS could first try it out as a virtual appliance before actually installing it.
If you're into software testing, then you can use virtual appliances to run your tests.

cheers,
Anil

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next