Forum Homepage Various PCQ Microsites Subscribe to our newsletters Subscribe to PCQ Print Edition Contact us for Advertising Solutions Contact us for any other queries
  FAQ   Search   REGISTER   Login

CIOL Network SITES

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Should we bring out PCQ Linux 2010 with our March issue?
Yes 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: PCQ Linux 2010
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,
We're doing a small audit to understand whether there should be a PCQ Linux 2010 in the March 2010 issue of PCQuest. Please let us have your views. Thanks.

Would also appreciate if you can respond to this post with your thoughts as well.

cheers,
Anil

Post subject: Re: PCQ Linux 2010
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm 
Brown belt

Quote:
Would also appreciate if you can respond to this post with your thoughts as well.

How about latest Knoppix Live CD iso ?

Also latest Xine ! And some Admin apps for network configuration details of Hybrid network of diff OSs and a Internet Gateway m/c connected thru USB Datacable via a Mobile and/or Broadband ?

Then details about how to make personal Live CD using ones own configuration of network, Monitor, Internet connection etc ?
And most importantly upgrading to latest Linux Kernel etc ( like PCQ Linux 7 version ) !

The list is endless, sir ! :)

Thanks !
~ Pats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 am 
Apprentice

Though I have voted yes, as far as people like me living in city/urban areas is concerned it is not required to give a customised distro (I know a lot of effort is required), nowadays everybody have broadband and most people download their favorite distro. I have downloaded and installed Mandriva 2010 free x86 64 last week. I have posted earlier that I become a full time linux user both in office and home as I am a regular reader of this magazine almost since inception. I don't think it was possible without PCQuest. Also PCQuest is including various distros in the companion DVD. A lot of help is available on the net for any type of issues.

But I feel PCQuest Linux 2010 may be useful for rural readers who may not have internet/BB connectivity. So I voted yes.

thanks

Manoharan S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:40 am 
Commander

mano_s wrote:
But I feel PCQuest Linux 2010 may be useful for rural readers who may not have internet/BB connectivity. So I voted yes.

PCQ also distributes other distributions on the DVD, so I guess what we are looking at is whether one wants PCQ Linux specifically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:07 pm 
Brown belt

Quote:
so I guess what we are looking at is whether one wants PCQ Linux specifically.[/quote]
I think, there are thousands of PCQ followers in India and else-where, and most of them eagerly wait for Linux related issues from you people. So do not dis-apppint them. :)
Do come with a nice PCQLinux distro, along with Live Distro for general purpose tasks - System Admin, Multimedia, Graphics, Networking apps - which are useful to common people also.
There can be a separate section for advance users.
Pl do not forget PCQ has introduce the first Blood Test of Linux to Aam Aadmi in India.
I still remember PCQs first Linux issue way back in 80s or 90s - with a cute Slackware distro - rawrite and those floppies etc. Correct? And I bought my 1st CDRom for the sole purpose of Linux only that time. :)
So, pl go ahead and punch it - fellaws !
~ Pats
Note: Pl include Linux equivallent commands for DOS- Windows like commands !
Also Kernel Compiling with Module supports etc - to Post-Graduate many Graduate Linux students . :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi,
First of all, I'd like to thank all people who've posted in this thread, saying they want PCQ Linux 2010.

Unfortunately, not too many people have responded to the poll, and there's a 60:40 ratio between people who want it and those who don't want it. If we were to go by this poll, then it makes my task more difficult, because for a magazine, 40% people not wanting a certain thing amounts to a significant number.

Moreover, there are lots of freely downloadable distros available, which contain most of the things you've asked for in your wishlist for PCQ Linux 2010. So going by that, would it really make sense to create PCQ Linux 2010 for you? Or would it make sense to give out a pack of the most popular Linux distros that are out there, and carry stories on how to use them in PCQ?

rgds,
Anil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:31 pm 
Brown belt

Quote:
Moreover, there are lots of freely downloadable distros available, which contain most of the things you've asked for in your wishlist for PCQ Linux 2010. So going by that, would it really make sense to create PCQ Linux 2010 for you?

Pl donot mind, but I think - it is like saying that , there are so many Computer Magzines, so PCQ should NOT publish its own stuff or may be there are so many writers so Craig Hunt, Roderick Smith, or Charles Aulds, Vicki Stanfield etc should not write their own books. :)

PCQ is a trend-setter in the Linux world and how can it try to reverse its Good Reputation and front runner in new technologies ?
At the most , you can bring a Hybrid PCQ issue with PCQ Linux and other WDoze related stuff in the same issue and ISO images of the Linux.
I remeber there are many contrubutors to Linux in PCQ like Atul Chitnis, Chako, youself, and Raju, Binand, Bish, Roy and host of other experienced experts from Linux-India-Dlehi forum who un-tiredly enrich Linux know-how of many of us and PCQ stands top of the chart.
But since I do not know the financial angle of the PCQ issue, so you are the best judge for it.
Best Luck !
~ Pats

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:24 pm 
Commander

anilchopra wrote:
Hi,
Moreover, there are lots of freely downloadable distros available, which contain most of the things you've asked for in your wishlist for PCQ Linux 2010. So going by that, would it really make sense to create PCQ Linux 2010 for you? Or would it make sense to give out a pack of the most popular Linux distros that are out there, and carry stories on how to use them in PCQ?

I would go one step further and point one big fact; when PCQ Linux started, access to other distributions (which were limited in number to start with) was very difficult and that made a distribution like PCQ Linux necessary. Today, its easy to download pretty much any distribution of Linux (there are hundreds of them), some really tiny like TinyCore, with a download size of 10MB, and if that's not enough PCQ is carrying various distributions in every DVD. You "nishpats" yourself wanted Knoppix, and that's that.

Maintaining a distribution like PCQ Linux, supporting it and ensuring updates is a time consuming and big effort, financially. In my opinion, the PCQ team can take that effort, and put it to build something more better for you, while ensuring you still get to try and experiment with different flavors of Linux :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:03 pm 
Brown belt

Quote:
I would go one step further and point one big fact; when PCQ Linux started, access to other distributions (which were limited in number to start with) was very difficult

Access to good info abt proper and step-by-step setup of the Linux with proper commands ( the way PCQ gives in its Linux issues ) is still limited.
Quote:
Today, its easy to download pretty much any distribution of Linux (there are hundreds of them),

Sir, are you talking abt only Metros and tier-1 cities ? Most parts of India are still lagging in BBands and the download charges are pretty high in these semi-urban areas for 600MBs and further. :(
Quote:
You "nishpats" yourself wanted Knoppix, and that's that.

Sure, I want knoppix like live distros for many of my students in semi-Urban areas who can not afford larger capacity disks with limited HW upgradation chances for money-crunch !
They simply insert the knoppix in the cdrom and can enjoy stuff like Linux without any further investment. :)
Quote:
Maintaining a distribution like PCQ Linux, supporting it and ensuring updates is a time consuming and big effort, financially

I already said it - you people are the best judge on PCQ financial angle.
Quote:
In my opinion, the PCQ team can take that effort, and put it to build something more better for you

Very Good ! For example ?
I would be glad to get introduce to something new from PCQ !
Best Luck !
~ Pats

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:47 pm 
Brown belt

I am a regular subscriber of PCQUEST magazine from last 9 years,
i found very stable,reliable,easier and efficient on 2005/2006 , these distro is very stable
for desktop as well as severs also.
now days distro comes with installation CD and Virtual machine Images, we hardly anyone try.
not easier,reliable and stable.
i think distro 2010 should have features like 2005/2006.

Thanks
Vijay Kadam
(Linux System Administrator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm 

I wish pcq 2010 should include capability to use
1. Data card like Reliance Netconnect or TATA photon
2. using diskless computer like LTSP project
3. Teacher's tool
-Binay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 pm 
Inner circle

another release is not required i guess, its just a matter of selection of programs
we all know your efforts introducing linux to india, mission accomplished :D
the same functionality can be achieved from any of existing distros today
it is more useful when you talk of technology and generalised way to implement them

-rajesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 pm 
Apprentice

cq78354419 wrote:
another release is not required i guess, its just a matter of selection of programs
we all know your efforts introducing linux to india, mission accomplished :D
the same functionality can be achieved from any of existing distros today
it is more useful when you talk of technology and generalised way to implement them

-rajesh

@rajesh

I totally agree, I am a full time linux user at home and office because of PCQuest. I am very proud of that. I also feel there is no need for a specific distro of PCQ. Instead there should be a specific section for resolving linux related issues in this forum which will eventually help a lot for others who try to use any distro. We all can contribute to help them out in resolving their issues as we have acquired a lot of knowledge from PCQ to manage linux distros.

Unfortunately the linux world is going in the wrong direction. A lot of community effort is is wasted in creating different distros. What will happen if all these communities contribute to a single distro just like the linux kernel????

I cannot imagine!!!! dream there will be a day that everybody unite and contribute to kill all the evils in the network world.

thanks
Manoharan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am 
Inner circle

you are right, but you can not call it a wrong direction
it is the core of open source system = flexibility and freedom to use
it would be nice if all those efforts can be steered in a more useful ways
none the less, more distros will come but only few will remain

-rajesh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 am 
Site Admin

cq78354419 wrote:
you are right, but you can not call it a wrong direction
it is the core of open source system = flexibility and freedom to use
it would be nice if all those efforts can be steered in a more useful ways
none the less, more distros will come but only few will remain

-rajesh

Because there are so many different distros available in the market, and just about everybody (except those in rural areas maybe) has broadband access at home, PCQ Linux may not be required by everybody. That's why instead of focusing on bringin out a Linux distro, we focused on bringing out an issue dedicated to Open Source software in March. That's also why there's a dedicated thread for Linux and Open Source discussions to take place. This is where everyone can contribute their ideas and thoughts, post their problems, and as a community we resolve them.

cheers,
Anil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm 
Grand Master

Since nothing of this is planned or any such venture as PCQ linux 2010/11. Please Lock this thread.

null